And once you’ve wrapped your head around everything Windows 10 has to offer, be sure to load up your PC with the best free software around. There are some actions you can take to exert control over your Windows Update experience, however. Most notably, if you’re using Wi-Fi for connectivity, you can set Windows 10’s Wi-Fi connections as metered to download updates when you’d like to, rather than when Microsoft wants you to. The Active Hours feature lets you tell Windows specific times not to install updates. And if you ever encounter a borked update that refuses to play nice with your PC, Microsoft’s released a tool that allows you to choose individual updates so they won’t be downloaded again. Still, it’s theoretically possible to skip over some feature updates entirely. Since they’re released every year, you could install one version, decline to install the next one that’s released, and then install the one after that.
The sfc /scannow command is one of the several specific switches available in the sfc command, the Command Prompt utility invoking System File Checker. You may also have to clear the Credentials Manager if you started getting the error code after you changed user credentials like the domain credentials on your Windows 11/10 computer. You will lose your saved passwords though, so best to back them up first.
How to recover files from a deleted user account in Windows 10—and make sure it never happens again
You’ll need to change the value for the DisabledComponents key to 0 (zero) by following the steps below. If clearing existing browsing data does not solve the problem, you can try resetting Edge to its default settings.
- Microsoft’s Disk Cleanup is a software application initially made available with Windows 98 and has since been incorporated into all later editions of Windows.
- Not all Windows 10 machines can run Windows 11 (at least without an ill-advised hack).
- This will mean you see fewer errors in Windows and there might even be a slight improvement in performance, too.
- The fact Microsoft touts that 1.4 billion devices use both platforms each month means the tech giant still sees both Windows 10 and Windows 11 as very much in tandem in the market.
- After cleaning the registry, a results page will display in your Internet browser.
In many ways, the registry can be thought of as a kind of DNA for the Windows operating system. And in Part 3 of this post we will tell you how to perform Windows registry repair with Fix Genius – the registry repair software.
You can close the Registry Editor by clicking File and selecting Exit, or simply clicking Close in the upper right corner of the Registry Editor dialog. The Windows system will create a copy of the registry when the system shuts down. He initially studied banking but discovered a passion for writing and became a freelance writer on Upwork in 2017.
You can use a Windows PE recovery drive to attempt to fix or restore your Windows Registry. You can manually restore the Windows Registry using the Command Prompt.